Jean-Jacques Perrey et son Ondioline – Deluxe Vinyl LP
Out on Forgotten Futures
- Never-before-released Ondioline cuts from Jean-Jacques Perrey’s archive.
- Super rare tracks from early private press releases.
- Meticulously restored and remastered from original sources.
- Includes collaborations with Angelo Badalamenti and Billy Goldenberg.
- 36-page booklet with unreleased archival photos and an essay by Simon Reynolds.
- Compilation curated and produced by Wally De Backer (Gotye)
Jean-Jacques Perrey (1929-2016) was a pioneer of electronic pop music celebrated for his uniquely whimsical sampled soundworld, his groundbreaking style of rhythmic tape editing, and his early use of the Moog modular synthesizer.
Perrey was also the world’s only virtuoso of the Ondioline, a remarkable French proto-synthesizer from the 1940s.
Jean-Jacques Perrey et son Ondioline focusses on this early period of Perrey’s musical life, exploring his intimate relationship with this unusual and expressive instrument.
The compilation features never-before-released collaborations with Angelo Badalamenti and Dick Hyman, early arrangements from test pressings of beloved Perrey tunes, and cuts from highly collectible albums of early library music he recorded.
Also featured is a rare extended demonstration of the Ondioline, which receives its first commercial release.
A must for dedicated fans, and a vibrant introduction for new listeners, this release canvasses Perrey’s unparalleled mastery of the Ondioline, points towards his later sample and Moog work, and illuminates a heretofore little-explored melancholy side to his recorded work.
Curated by long-time Perrey fan and recent collaborator Wally De Backer (Gotye), this is the first release on Forgotten Futures, a new record label set up by De Backer to excavate lost works by pioneering producers and musical instrument inventors.
1. La Vache et le Prisonnier
2. Visa to the Stars (commercial arrangement)
3. Chicken on the Rocks
4. Danielle of Amsterdam
6. L'âme des Poètes
7. Dandelion Wine
8. Barnyard In Orbit
9. Sérénade à la Mule
10. Mars Reflector
11. Pioneers of the Stars (orchestral arrangement)
12. to 38. Ondioline demonstration from Satellite Records acetates